What makes a performance musical?Edit
- Correct notes and rhythms (70%) (sometimes the max. level achieved by junior bands or bands that are in small communities).
- Quality of sound - rich and warm
- Dynamics - volume of sound
- Tempo being constant and not fluctuating unless it's a tempo change
- Intonation - in tune to A 440hz
- Articulation - tonguing - attacking the note
- Attacks and releases
- Phrasing - breathing techniques
- Balance - between the sections
- Blend - within the sections
It's harder to play soft due to large band and it takes more air support, makes the sound go flat.
- 's 2-10 make up 30% of the marks used by adjudicators. This 30% is hard to get unless practiced.
- Adjusting tuning
- listening to yourself and others around you
- adjusting your embouchure
- adjusting your instrument - longer = flat, shorter = sharp